Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Now To Deal With the Other Father

So, my father-in-law.  He is a big mess.  I see characteristics in him that could fit the BPD profile.

His life is a mess, and it really truly is all his own undoing.  He's broke.  He has no friends or family for support - real support.  He just got notice that his job ends at the end of the month.

And he called my husband tonight to tell him that he should just kill himself.  He said he should hang himself or slit his wrists.  Then later he told him that he took a bunch of pills.  When conferring with his brother-in-law, my husband was told that my husband shouldn't bother to call the police because it was too late.

Then he called and was uncontrollably bawling into the phone.  So, that's when I was urged to call the police.  And they sent the police and paramedics over.

When my husband called his father a little while later, he sounded coherent and more calm.  He talked to one of the paramedics, and was told that his father would be taken to the hospital.  My husband had to tell him that his father told him he was committing suicide.  His father had left that bit of information out of their discussion.

So, now he's going to the psych ward.  I can't help but feel that they won't give him the help he really needs.  He needs rehab from prescription drugs.  He needs intensive psychiatric therapy.  And he needs to learn to live within his means and take responsibility for his actions.

I don't think that's going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment